Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A New Year

With Andy sick for New Years, we stayed in and watched the ball drop with New York.  I tried to plan some fun activities for the kids like making snowball punch, filling out their favorites lists, played some games, and we made it to 11:00.  Everyone went to bed, and I stayed up to read until midnight.  I rang in the new year by myself with a good book.
We spent the rest of the break inside due to the cold weather.  We did make it out to go roller skating, and we went to the movies to see Ferdinand.  I also took them to the J to shoot some hoops a few times, and they made a big fort in the loft.  They ended up sleeping in their fort for a couple of nights.  Baylor ended up getting sick shortly after Andy.  Luckily it stopped with him.  Amity sent Atticus a couple of hats she made.  He loves them!  They came just in time for all of our cold weather.
Gymnastics started up after the holiday break for Atticus, Finley, and Baylor.  They were all so excited.  Briley couldn't get into the class so I think she is going to do boxing instead.  They loved their classes.  Finley got a new gymnastics outfit, and Atticus really wanted to wear her old one.  I didn't let him, but he tries each week.
Andy left the week after New Years for a conference in Miami.  I was so worried I would get the flu while he was gone, and be on my own.  Luckily everyone stayed healthy while he was away.
I had book club that Tuesday while he was gone, but I was able to get a babysitter.  We read A Gentleman in Moscow.  It was a book that took me a bit to get into because I'm not that knowledgable with Russian history so I had to look a few things up  along the way, but once I got into it, I loved it.  It isn't a page turner suspenseful book, but one of those that you hate to finish because you fall in love with the characters.  We talked about the book while drinking Moscow mules, and one of the wines he talks about in the book.  We also had Latvian soup, and other Russian dishes.
Martin Luther King weekend I took Briley to see The Greatest Showman.  She and I both enjoyed it so much.  Makes me sad that the circus is no more.  We also took the kids to get their passport pictures taken.  It was quite the deal, and they turned out rather goofy, but its done.  Now if the government could get back to work so we could get our passports processed.  Andy took Briley on Monday to work at Harvesters for a service project with school.  They both said it was busy, but I think they enjoyed doing it.
This past Friday, Andy and I went to see Jerry Seinfeld down at the Midland.  Hands down the funniest comedian I have seen.  I laughed so hard that I had tears rolling down my face. He is so funny without being vulgar.  I think what I like so much about him is that he is so animated when he is telling a story.  After we were done we went to eat at Hotel Phillips for dinner, and then made our way back home to where  all the kids and Grandma and Papa were waiting up for us.
Saturday morning we were up and out the door early to get to basketball for Baylor.  After his game we came home, had lunch, Andy and Mike took down the Christmas lights, and we went to get bedding for Atticus.
That afternoon we went to Briley's game and it was a fun one.  Her team hasn't won a game all season, and the pieces fell into place finally.  They won and she did a great job.  It was a lot of fun to watch them.  After the game we went to dinner at Rye.  One of my favorite places to eat.
Andy took Atticus's crib down, and put his big boy bed up when we got home from dinner.  He was so excited to get out of his crib.  It took a while for me to get him to fall asleep, and he was in our room early Sunday morning.  He has yet to fall asleep for a nap, but I'll keep trying.  Hard to believe after 11 years our crib is down, and won't be up again until we have grandchildren.  That is really a crazy thought.  The baby years really went fast.
Briley was an alter server on Sunday morning, and then we we we went down for donuts.  Briley had another game that afternoon, and again they won!  So happy for the girls.  They needed that boost of confidence.  After the game Briley came home to work on her pictures for photography club.  It was working with lighting so she took Finley and Atticus upstairs to take their pictures in different spots.
Last night Briley slept in bed with Atticus, and Finley slept on his floor.  He slept well, but I don't know if they did.  We will see how tonight goes.

Atticus Milestones:
I began putting big boy underwear on him after the new year, and he has done such a great job!  He loves wearing his Thomas underwear, and gets very upset if he gets them wet.  While I was sad to see the crib come down, I am not sad to be done with diapers.
Another big thing in his life is "breakable cups" for hot chocolate.  He no longer wants his hot chocolate in a sippy cup at night.  It has to be in a "breakable cup."


Finley had a bit of a meltdown playing pictionary.































0 comments: