Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Last Day of Chemo and Kamp

 Andy and I dropped the kids off at Kamp at the end of July for a fun filled week.  Atticus did so much better at drop off this year. We asked him if he wanted us to go in with him, and he said he was good.  He left us with a smile on his face.  We drove back home to spend the weekend with my family who came to celebrate my last chemo treatment.  Amity, Billy, Asa, and Kelsey surprised us with a yummy dinner, and the house decorated in a Hawaiian theme.  My sister said that palm trees bend and don't break and that made her think of me as I battle cancer.  We also plan to celebrate the end of this journey by hopefully going to Hawaii soon, or at least we dream about that.  

The next day, we went to The Rieger Distillery for lunch.  I have always wanted to go over there, and it just hadn't happened yet.  They have a cute little beer garden with a food truck that served some really good food.  They also had a craft fair going on that we walked through while my Dad and Rick headed next door to Knuckleheads to listen to music.  As we were getting ready to go over, a train came, and stopped.  We waited awhile for the train to go, but it never did so we went over to see the Kansas City Museum up the road.  It was a house that was built by a man who owned a logging company named R.A. Long.  It was built in 1910, and would have been so cool, but they did a big renovation, and really not much of the original interior is left.  We finally made our way over to Knuckleheads to collect my Dad and Rick before heading back home to get ready for dinner.  My Mom was at our house when we got there, and we then went to Bamboo Penny's for dinner.  It was wonderful as always, and I loved having everyone there to support me on my chemo day.  

The next morning, I got up early to walk with Amity before heading in.  Andy dropped me off, as he isn't allowed to go to this treatment center with me.  My treatment went rather quickly, and caught everyone by surprise.  They hurried over just as I was finishing up, and Andy came in to watch me ring the bell, while my family waited for me outside.  One part of my battle is over, and I am thankful for that.

My Dad and Rick left after we got home, and my Mom, Amity, and Billy left the next day.  Amity and Billy are off on their next adventure in Washington.  I was able to rest in a quiet house, and that was nice before we left the next day to go to Big Cedar.  Andy and I spent two days at Big Cedar before picking up the kids.  

Wednesday afternoon we spent sitting by the pool.  It was a really hot afternoon. Kanakuk does a good job of keeping the kids cool when it is hot out, but this week was really steamy for them.  That night, we ate at the Keeter House at College of the Ozarks.  We have wanted to try this place for awhile, and it was really good!  It is a farm to table place, and a lot of the food is grown and made on campus.  Andy and I were both really impressed by the service, and the food.  We will definitely be back.  That night we had intentions of seeing the Singing Cowboy, but he was on vacation.  

Thursday morning, I was feeling good so I went to do a yoga class on the Summit overlooking the lake.  It was a beautiful morning, and a fun experience until the shuttle was 30 minutes late picking us up after it was over.  I'll remember to drive my own car next time.  Andy and I got breakfast at Truman House, and then spent some time at the pool before going to the spa.  I'm not supposed to get massages, so I got a grotto pass to spend time in the suana, hot tub, and grotto.  Andy, Tabitha, and Jonathan all got massages, and then met me there.  We had a great time catching up, and relaxing in the nice cool spa since it was so hot outside.  That night, we ate at Top of the Rock with Tabitha and Jonathan, Sara, Ryan, and Annie, Kaitlin and Zane, Emily, and Allison, Andrew, and Jackson.  We celebrated Kaitlin's birthday, Tab and Jon's anniversary, and my last chemo treatment!  It was such a nice dinner, and the sunset ceremony was beautiful as always.  I never get tired of watching the sun go down over the lake.  

Friday morning, we were up bright and early to pick the kids up at kamp.  Briley and Baylor were first.  Baylor really enjoyed kamp this year.  He liked one of his counselors a lot, he loved tubing, and said the GOAT party was his favorite.  Briley had the best year yet.  She loved her counselors and all the girls in her cabin.  She said it was a great group of girls that weren't boy crazy.  She went to the movies last night with five of the girls from the cabin that live close by.  Her favorite party was the Goat Party, and being with all her friends and cousins.  Next, was the two younger ones.  Finley was all smiles, and started talking a mile a minute about all the fun she had.  She made new friends, and had a blast.  Atticus came running to us, and started crying as soon as he was in Andy's arms.  He loves kamp, but he misses his Mom and Dad a lot too.  He would like us all to go to family kamp so that he can have us there, but do all the fun things.  He had very sweet counselors this year, and the counselor that he loved from last year was also back.  Finley's favorite part was the slew slide, and Church.   Atticus's favorite part was the zipline and the slew slide.  They both loved the all day holiday party.

Briley got the Pacesetter The Spark award.  "Don't let anyone look down upon you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12

Baylor got the 110% Excellent Attitude and Effort.  "Whatever you do, work at it with your heart, as working for the Lord and not for men." Colossians 3:23

Finley got the I'm Third award and the Bumble Bee Award

Atticus got the Heart Loving award.  "God sees not as man sees, the Lord looks upon the Heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

The rest of the day was spent at the pool at Big Cedar, and then we ordered pizza for dinner.   That night, they had a movie on the lawn, and the kids played pickleball and putt putt. Saturday morning was rainy, and cooler.  We spent some time at fun mountain, and then when the rain stopped, we took the kids to the lazy river pool.  After they got tired of that pool, we went to another.  The kids didn't want to get out when we told them it was time to get ready for dinner.  Atticus and Toby decided they didn't want to go eat out, so we left them in the cabin with pizza while the rest of us went to Arnie's Barn.  Dinner finished up just in time to watch another beautiful sunset to end our trip.

Now, it is back to getting ready for school.  First day of school outfits have been bought, school supplies are ready, and the kids are anxiously waiting for the email today to tell them who their teacher is.  So excited to see who they get, and praying that they have a wonderful school year.
























































































0 comments: