Monday, September 11, 2023

First Cross Country Races, Birthday Celebration, and a Surgery

 Briley had her first cross country race of the season on August 31st.  It is a race that is a little different because the kids race by grade instead of by Varsity, JV, and C teams.  Briley was all smiles as she ran by us.  She got first place for the Juniors, and 3rd place overall for the girls.  She was pretty excited to start the season off so well.  This race is a 2K, and she finished in 14:48 seconds.

Labor Day weekend was spent back in Kirksville to celebrate Mary Carol's 70th birthday.  The weekend could not have been any better, and Sara did such an awesome job orchestrating it all.  We had trivia, a talent show, yummy Pear Tree dinner, and cake.  We also celebrated Mr. Carson turning 16 on Sunday.  It was fun to have everyone back, and the kids all enjoyed getting to spend time together.  

My brother and Kelsey also came home on Sunday for dinner with my Dad and Karen so that was nice to see them as well.  The kids wore Asa out, and getting him prepared for life as a soon to be Dad.  It's always nice to come home on a long weekend so that we can see everyone, and it isn't so rushed.

The kids didn't have school on Tuesday so Finley and Atticus stayed behind with my Mom while the rest of us went home on Monday.  I had scheduled an appointment with Father Brian to anoint me before my surgery.  Right in the middle of the prayer, Baylor got sick all over the place, including me.  Father Brian did not miss a beat, and kept on going while Andy ran Baylor out.  He left a trail that we got cleaned up afterwards.  I don't think Father Brian could get out of there fast enough.

Wednesday was the day I had been dreading for a long time.  I'm not one that does well with surgery, and this is the longest one I have ever had.  We didn't have to go in until 9:00 so I went to Church that morning with Briley and my Mom.  The reading that day was as if it was for me, and again I felt the peace come over me that I have experienced several times on this road.

 Luke 4: 38-44 

And Jesus rising up out of the synagogue, went into Simon’s house. And Simon’s wife’s mother was taken with a great fever, and they besought him for her. And standing over her, he commanded the fever, and it left her. And immediately rising, she ministered to them. And when the sun was down, all they that had any sick with diverse diseases, brought them to him. But he laying his hands on every one of them, healed them. And devils went out from many, crying out and saying: Thou art the Son of God. And rebuking them he suffered them not to speak, for they knew that he was Christ. And when it was day, going out he went into a desert place, and the multitudes sought him, and came unto him: and they stayed him that he should not depart from them.

I gave big hugs to the kids, and Andy and I went to the hospital.  They quickly got me to my pre-op room, and things got busy.  As always, the nurses, doctors, and med students were all great, and I really felt  calm.  The nurse came in to tell me that she was going to put a relaxer in my IV, and I was loopy by the time we made it into the surgery room.  Out like a light for 6 plus hours.  When I woke up, I was not sick! Hallelujah!  That has not ever happened to me before, and I was so thankful.  I was out of it, and Andy said we had the same conversation over and over again which he found funny.  They decided to keep me overnight since it was 7:30 by the time I had come out of recovery.  The surgery went very smoothly, and my lymphatic drainage reconstruction was a success.  Andy stayed at the hospital until about 10:30, and then he went home.  I tried to sleep, but it wasn't the best night with pain, and the fact that I had slept all day. Andy came by with Mclain's for me that morning, and then we got discharged soon after.

Overall, the surgery went so much better than what I had in my head it was going to be.  Sleeping is the biggest challenge since you have to stay on your back, and I find myself staring at the clock just waiting for the morning to come.  Each day gets a little bit better, and I know it just takes time.

My sister and Mom were such a big help these first few days when I got home.  They cooked yummy meals, took kids to practices and games, and ran to the grocery store. It was so nice to have them here while I was recovering.  

 Baylor had his first cross country meet last Thursday.  I wasn't able to go, but Andy, my Mom, and Amity cheered him on.  He got 9th place with a time of 6:15 for the mile.  Each month the teachers give a sunshine note to a student, and Baylor received one from his Cross Country coach.  She said, "Baylor is such a fantastic young man! He is wonderful both in and out of the classroom. I am so thankful to have him as part of our cross country team, His grit and heart that he puts into the sport is admirable and a model for others. He chooses to continue to push himself and work to improve his PR rather than settle for a great time. Thankful for his leadership both on the track and in the classroom! ~Mrs. Peters



















0 comments: