Sunday, February 27, 2022

Happy 40th to Me!

 The day after Atticus's birthday, Andy and I flew out for a long weekend at Carmel By the Sea.  We had lunch in this little town a few years ago, and I knew I wanted to go back to stay longer some day.  Andy surprised me with the trip two weeks ago, and I was so excited!  We stayed at Vagabond House downtown.  It was such a cute little place that had 12 rooms that overlooked a courtyard.  They served breakfast to your room each day, and at night, they would have wine and apps set out with a cozy fire outside.  It had a great location, and such a cozy feel.

The first night, we went to mass at the Carmel Mission Basilica.  It is where the shrine of Saint Junipero Serra is, and was built in the 1770s.  After mass, we had made the mistake of not making reservations and had trouble finding a place to eat.  We were able to get in at a little Irish pub, and I'm always up for fish and chips.  

Andy was off on a bike ride the next morning while I went on a walk through town.  I went to pick him up in Monterey, but I went a little early so I could walk around that cute area as well.  I walked down to the Old Fisherman's Wharf, and then picked Andy up.  That afternoon we drove along the 17 mile road up by Pebble Beach.  The houses along that road are amazing.  It makes you wonder who lives there.  It was a cloudy day so the views weren't as spectacular as it would have been if the sun was out, but it was still fun to see.

That afternoon, we went to a winery tasting room.  There are several of them in Carmel, but we only did one.  We just had our carryon luggage so we couldn't get bottles to take home.  The one we went to was Blair Winery, and the lady was very sweet.  We then went back to our room, and had a glass of wine out by the fire with three other couples who were staying there.  

We had dinner at Hog's Breath Inn that night.  This restaurant was owned by Clint Eastwood(he was also one time the mayor of the town), and has one of the best patios.  I had Sand Dabs which is a fish that is popular in the area.  It was really good!  After dinner, we stopped at a chocolate store for a little treat.

The next day we got up to do a little tour of the fairy tale cottages in town.  We then had breakfast before making our way to Point Lobos State Park.  We chose to do the hike along the coast, and it was so pretty.  I don't know why anyone would choose to the other hikes.  The sun was shining, and it was breathtaking.  I know the weather may be a little cooler this time of year, but I think it is the prettiest.  The green is so bright that it reminds me of Ireland.

After our walk, we went back for brunch, and then we did some shopping.  At 12:00, we were walking along, and saw the police officers ringing the town bell.   Andy went on a run while I went to get a massage.  We met up afterwards to get ready for dinner.  Our last night we went down to watch the sunset on the beach, and there was a bagpiper playing Amazing Grace.  We ate at Portabella, and it was in one of the cute fairy tale cottages.  

We left the next morning after breakfast.  Everyone was so friendly, and the views were so incredible that it was hard to leave.  I hope we can one day come back to this cute area.  Perfect place to celebrate my 40th.

My actual birthday was on Thursday.  Andy made breakfast, and he was sweet enough to have a big sign put in the yard to announce my birthday to everyone.  My co-worker went all out with a birthday party for our class.  The kids loved singing Happy Birthday, and that I wore a birthday crown.  Their favorite of course, was the cake at snack time.  Dawn told me to leave early so I went to get my free Starbucks drink, and then went home.  It snowed off and on all day, but the roads were never too bad. 

That night, we went out to dinner at The Silos.  It was a yummy restaurant in Lenexa that overlooked a golf course.  It was really pretty with the snow falling down.  We then went home for cake and presents.  I'm feeling very loved on my 40th.








































0 comments: